Art is about making a connection

Art is about making a connection

Sunday 7 May 2017

maybe one person really can change the world

May Maybes Idea: maybe one person really can change the world. 


TRIGGER WARNING: Sexual Violence, suicide, and "13 Reasons Why". 


"Its ["13 Reasons Why"] graphic depictions of suicide and sexual assault could be a serious trigger for people who have experienced trauma or mental illness. Worse, it portrays a twisted revenge version of suicide that becomes so sensationalized that Hannah's own experiences get disregarded." - Tessa Hill


When I was finishing my master's degree, I took a babysitting job. Tessa was 3 months old and shortly after I started, my 2 days a week, couple of hours a day, turned into 5 days a week all day. 


One of my favourite thing was Tessa's laugh. It was contagious. Strangers would comment on how wonderful it was. 


Later on, Quinn joined our little team. He was 3. He gave the best hugs, and when my Gram died, he hugged me so long and so tight that it filled my heart. 



Those days were some of the best days ever. Hanging out with 2 amazing tiny humans everyday is awesome. The park, the library, playgroups, and adventures. At home we had art time, music time, and quiet time. Ha! 


I loved those kids fiercely with all my heart. Watching them grow into slightly bigger tiny humans was incredible. Both of them were funny, kind, and full of joy. 


Nap time was one of the best times of the day. Not because the kids went to sleep, and I could clean the kitchen, but because it meant holding them and rocking them and singing to them. It was wonderful. 



After 3 years with my beautiful babies, I left to start my teaching career. Things got busy, my health went downhill, and I haven't seen them in many years. 


I love both my babies equally. This post is about Tessa. 


When Tessa was 13, she did a project at school that turned into something amazing. She and her friend campaigned to have consent added to the Ontario Health Curriculum. Now, whenever I teach Health, I think about them and am grateful to have the curriculum that I do. 


Tessa and her friend were awarded the Young Women of Distinction award from the YWCA, as well as Torontonians of the year. My heart burst with pride at both of those things. 


Today I read an article in the Globe and Mail written by Tessa. 16 years old and published in the newspaper. She never ceases to amaze me. 


http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/i-didnt-enjoy-13-reasons-why-but-the-backlash-is-excessive/article34898475/


She articulates exactly how I feel about the Netflix series "13 Reasons Why". 


"[...] the graphic sexual assault storylines fail to centre survivors. The plot focuses mainly on the idea that perpetrators should end up in prison instead of acknowledging that few sexual assaults are reported, fewer still end in a conviction and the criminal justice system takes the greatest toll on the survivor." - Tessa Hill


In a society that glorifies violence 





and gives little voice to survivors, the words and advocacy of Tessa give me hope. Her crusade to raise the issue of consent is one piece of the puzzle that will make a difference in this world. 


Be kind,

To yourself too

xo



*All images are property of Fox Tales Art

**All images are available for sale with profits going to www.sheenasplace.org 


Email foxtaleskira@gmail.com for inquiries (Purchasing directly by email, even if the piece is on etsy, saves both of us money and can involve a negotiation in size and in price)


Or browse some options at 

www.etsy.com/ca/shop/FoxTalesByKira 

No comments:

Post a Comment