Art is about making a connection

Art is about making a connection

Monday 17 April 2017

reply to a compliment with a simple "thank you

April of Acceptance Daily Idea: reply to a compliment with a simple "thank you".


This may be the hardest acceptance suggestion so far! How many times are you given a compliment to which you respond with all the reasons why whatever you are being complimented on is untrue? 



1: "You're such a great friend." 

2: "I'm just doing what I would want someone to do for me." 


1: "you are so kind."

2: "I try. Sometimes I'm so selfish."


1: "you're very talented."

2: "I'm still learning."


1: "this soup is delicious!"

2: "oh thanks, it needs more salt though."


Am I right? 


Being modest is socially acceptable. Celebrating yourself is sometimes considered boastful. 



The things I explain away:

  • My masters degree
  • My art
  • This blog
  • Things I do for friends 
  • Things I do for strangers 
  • My teaching practice 


Let's try to own our compliments by replying with a simple "thank you". 


The voice in your head will say all the things. You can listen. And you can keep it as a voice in your head. We don't need to explain away what is wonderful in ourselves, or about ourselves, or our accomplishments. 


Be kind,

To yourself too

xo



***NOTE: "acceptance" in the context of my writing is about the belief that all living things are entitled to respect, regardless of their actions and beliefs. "Acceptance" in this context is NOT about being silent, ignoring injustices and self and others, or expecting that we can say something is okay when it isn't. In this context I am referring to the idea that we cannot control what happens around us, we can only control how to respond to those things. 




*All images are property of Fox Tales Art

**All images are available for sale with profits going to www.sheenasplace.org 


Email foxtaleskira@gmail.com for inquiries (Purchasing directly by email, even if the piece is on etsy, saves both of us money and can involve a negotiation in size and in price)


Or browse some options at 

www.etsy.com/ca/shop/FoxTalesByKira 

No comments:

Post a Comment