Art is about making a connection

Art is about making a connection

Tuesday 7 February 2017

Fat-Talk and Food





Because shame affects how one feels about food, and acts around food. 


FAT-TALK-FREE FEBRUARY DAILY CHALLENGE: today, choose a food you love and fear ... and eat it ... with gusto!


When people are shamed about food, it reinforces societal and familial pressures to conform to the current body ideals. 


When you comment on what someone else is eating, you have the potential of bringing up shaming feelings. Even when you are simply saying it's delicious. Commenting on what someone is eating, when you don't know their story, can have a harmful impact. 


Fat-Talk is commenting on food in a one on one or group setting. Saying "no" when offered cake is not Fat-Talk. Saying "oh I can't possibly eat that" or "I was so bad yesterday I shouldn't" or "I was good today so yes please" .... or any other comment that takes the choice of yes or no to a place of good/bad. That brings up shame feelings in others. If you say you can't have the cake because you've been bad, it makes me think about everything I've eaten and if I've been "bad". There are no good or bad foods. There are simply foods. Different foods have different levels of nutrient values. Or they taste different. But food is just food.  

No comments:

Post a Comment