Art is about making a connection

Art is about making a connection

Saturday 18 February 2017

I am a person so treat me like one


This is one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever read. It's beauty is simple. It's beauty is in her choice to make herself vulnerable by sharing her story. It's beauty is in further making herself vulnerable by re-sharing the photo that caused her emotional pain. Her main plea "I am a person so treat me like one." This piece shows so much compassion towards herself. It has so many layers of body shaming: disability, chronic illness, invisible disability, eating disorder, and the dehumanizing of women over an idealized weight. She refers to herself as obese. She acknowledges her health struggles. And she points out the human impulse to be cruel at the expense of other people's lived experience. 




https://themighty.com/2017/02/response-viral-photo-woman-falling-off-cart-at-grocery-store/


Be kind. 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment