Art is about making a connection

Art is about making a connection

Tuesday 7 March 2017

be present

MINDFULLY MENDING MARCH SUGGESTION: take 5 minutes today to be present. 




What does it mean to you to "be present"? 


There are so many things that we do on autopilot. I think it's terrifying that I can pull my car into my driveway and have no memory of the last 5 minutes of the drive. 


I think for me, being present means paying attention. Not just paying attention to what is happening around you, but also paying attention to yourself. What are you doing? What are your senses taking in? How is it making you feel? Is it a pleasurable activity? Does it bring anything up for you? 


Being present for yourself can be a challenge. Paying attention to your thoughts, feelings, reactions, actions ... it takes practice. 


I think being present with, and present for others is equally important. Real intimacy can't happen if all of you are not present. 


I can't tell you how many times I'm listening to a kid tell a story and I'm not actually paying attention at all. I smile, nod, say "oh?", and give a half-hearted listen. The only thing longer than a kid's story is .... actually, there isn't anything longer. I often keep doing what I'm doing; marking, planning, organizing, cleaning ... 


In order to be present with a child, I need to stop what I'm doing, look them in the eye, and really listen. Maybe the story will go on for 5 minutes, with unnecessary details and really no point. At all. And to that child, having my undivided attention for 5 minutes makes them feel heard. It makes them feel like they matter. 


For me, being present means being aware of yourself, of your surrounds, and of the people you are interacting with. 


Be kind,

To yourself too

xo



*All images are property of Fox Tales Art

**All images are available for sale with profits going to www.sheenasplace.org 


Email foxtaleskira@gmail.com for inquiries and browse some options at 

www.etsy.com/ca/shop/FoxTalesByKira 


(Purchasing directly by email, even if the piece is on etsy, saves both of us money and can involve a negotiation in size and in price)

No comments:

Post a Comment