Art is about making a connection

Art is about making a connection

Monday 6 March 2017

Self care and accepting mediocrity

MINDFULLY MENDING MARCH SUGGESTION: fit in time today for some self-care.

Okay so this whole "self-care" thing throws me off sometimes. As I wrote a few days ago, we live in this weird society where independence and a go go go attitude run our lives. Work, chores, family obligations, errands, being a taxi, and in my case right now, unpacking. AND there's the feeling of having to do all of it on your own.

I hear "self-care" all the time and think, well when am I supposed to fit that in? And furthermore, what the hell does it even mean?!?!?!?!?

For a long time, I pictured self-care as having to be something like taking a bath.

I. Hate. Baths.

Even with bubbles and music and candles or a good book. So I ignored the idea. I mean, you sit in a tub full of water that gets luke warm and you just sit there. It's so boring.

I have come to understand that "self-care" means different things to different people. It all depends on what makes you feel good. For some people, it IS a bath. For others it might be reading a book, making a cup of tea, painting your nails, watching funny TV shows, watching your favourite movie, going for a walk, going to the gym, swimming, singing, playing an instrument, drawing, painting, writing, visiting a friend, or even having a nap.

Many self-care activities can take as little as 10 minutes.

If you think about all the things you do in a day, I bet you can find 10 minutes to do something that makes you feel good.

For me, today I am allowing myself to be unhappy with this post and post it anyway!

Be kind,
To yourself too
xo



*All images are property of Fox Tales Art
**All images are available for sale with profits going to www.sheenasplace.org

Email foxtaleskira@gmail.com for inquiries and browse some options at
www.etsy.com/ca/shop/FoxTalesByKira

(Purchasing directly by email, even if the piece is on etsy, saves both of us money and can involve a negotiation in size and in price)

No comments:

Post a Comment