Art is about making a connection

Art is about making a connection

Wednesday 1 March 2017

Letting Go

Welcome to day one of Mindfully Mending March! 


We all have parts of us that need mending. This month we will look at parts that need to be mended and how we can make small steps to heal ourselves from the inside 




MINDFUL MENDING SUGGESTION:

when you get into bed tonight, think of 3 things you feel grateful for. When you wake up tomorrow, think of those 3 things again (or 3 new things!). Pay attention to how being aware of gratitude makes you feel. 


I drew the hands releasing a butterfly for my friend's 50th birthday. You can interpret the image in whatever way fits for you; human hands, God, The Universe, fate, life, maybe even your own self. The idea behind the image for me was that an  entering of the next stage in your life involves letting go. 


It's 7:00 am on the first day of March. At the end of this month I will turn 40. 


For me, this month brings big changes. We are moving from our 3 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment. This means downsizing the 2 spare bedrooms, basement, hallways, and backyard. How do you take 12 years of living in a big house and condense it to a small apartment? The process has involved letting go of things we don't need, but more importantly, things we have held onto. My childhood piano, gifts from friends when I was 15, the plastic cup from 7-11 that once every few months one of us decides we are so thirsty we need to use it ... 


There have been tears. And as each carload of donations pulls away from the house, a small weight is lifted off my shoulders. And I feel gratitude for the people who have come with cars to take bags and boxes of donations. Gratitude for the friends who have come over and packed with us. Gratitude for the friend who brought us Starbucks to give us warm friendship feelings as we headed into a full weekend of non-stop packing. 


Gratitude makes the hard things feel just a little bit easier. I am going to think of 3 things I am grateful for, before I start my day. 


  1. The incredible friendships I have forged in my 30s. 
  2. The unending love and support I receive.
  3. My privilege to have access to this forum to share my art and writing.


I'm adding one more: chai lattes. I am eternally grateful for chai lattes. 


Be kind 

xo



*All images are property of Fox Tales Art

**All images are available for sale with profits going to www.sheenasplace.org 


Email foxtaleskira@gmail.com for inquiries and browse some options at 

www.etsy.com/ca/shop/FoxTalesByKira 


(Purchasing directly by email, even if the piece is on etsy, saves both of us money and can involve a negotiation in size and in price)

No comments:

Post a Comment